Monday 2 October 2017

Blooming Blogs and Minds !


Starting a new course at any level we can forget to take time to stop and reflect...

The terminology surrounding library systems, rules and  procedures  is still  very new to many students this week.  Hold books, automatic renewals, return due dates, is like a new language to many of our patrons.
Many students particularly the mature students or those returning to college after a long time out of main stream education have found it difficult at times to grasp the resources and it facilities available in our library.
Express printing, card top - ups, photocopying  presentations and scanning documents have presented  different challenges for many varied groups.
Their anxiety around the use of new  technical hardware and ever changing software packages managed  to increase my awareness of how important keeping abreast of new web developments are in this role. I was more determined then ever this week to reflect on my own approach to their problems and how that will  greatly influence the positive experience of learning "rudaĆ­ Nua" for everyone involved

We are all Learners. No Teachers here this week.  .
DONT PANIC !! JUST YET !!!
 
Nurturing blooming minds needs careful reflection on the part of the teacher and the student.  So I put the mask on myself this week and realised the best way to be of help to students was to reflect on my own course work. I stopped panicking around keeping up with the posse and concentrated instead on enjoying  learning about how i learn, especially when it comes to new technologies and media systems. I did take the time to reflect ...(and realised that is not non doing !)
Study Skills for Librarians should be on the bookselves soon !!

Flip it !  but the Flickr people got it right !  imagery is a powerful tool. The image of the red rose got me through this week.Some simple posters designed by staff  helped to  relieve the blight of many a tired non techie student warrior...and got them at least "connected" .....if not grounded !


Reflective rose time has helped  me to understand my own  frustrations around not being able to read enough or produce "better " work for the assignment. My perfectionists skin was stretched to its limits.  I had alot on.! It's not easy being a student at any time ! At any age ! in any age !
but balance is the key , staying COOL .. and ..reflective ....I will make a study plan this week...
progress...
I hope all our freshers woke up to smell the roses this week....and if not, there is always another  season for growth .







1 comment:

  1. Hi Mary, hope the course is going well, and yes we all need a balance. Don't stress and have fun with all the things, if you need any help please contact us and we will do our very best for you.
    Siobhan

    ReplyDelete